Minutes of the Annual Meeting of Milton Ernest Parish Council held on Thursday 26th May 2016 immediately following the Parish Meeting in the Village Hall

Present: Cllrs Dilley (Chairman), Williams, Reddington, Newman, Sharman, Borough Councillor McMurdo and the Clerk (Sue Bottoms), and 2 members of the public.

  1. Appointment of Chairman and the signing of the Declaration of Acceptance of Office: Cllr Dilley was nominated by Cllr Newman and seconded by Cllr Sharman and there being no other nominations, was duly appointed as Chairman and signed the Declaration of Acceptance of Office.
  2. Apologies for Absence: Cllrs Winter and Snowball.
  3. Appointment of Vice-Chairman: Cllr Newman was nominated by Cllr Dilley, seconded by Cllr Sharman and there being no other nominations was appointed Vice-Chairman.
  4. Declarations of interest in items on the agenda:
    1. i.            To receive written requests for a dispensation: none.
    2. ii.            To consider any requests for a dispensation: none.
  5. To elect members to the Playing Field Committee: Cllr Williams, Sharman and Snowball.
  6. To appoint representatives to the following outside bodies:
    1. Village Hall Committee:  Cllr Reddington.
    2. Village Fete Committee: Cllr Sharman.
    3. Turner-Rolt Charity:  Cllrs Williams and Snowball.
    4. Town and Parish Network: Cllr Snowball.
  7. To appoint councillors to particular interests:
    1. Police Liaison and Neighbourhood Watch:  Cllr Snowball.
    2. Internal Review of Accounts: Cllr Williams.
  8. To approve the minutes of the meeting held on the 28th April 2016: These were signed as a true record of the meeting.  The meeting then closed for item 9.
  9. Public Open Session (15 mins):

i)        “Camera” in Thurleigh Road: A resident said that the other residents of Thurleigh Road were grateful for the offer of ward funding for the camera.  Cllr Dilley said that it was important to ensure that it would provide real benefits and to that end he had tried to find out if any data had been collected on the usefulness of such cameras but to no avail.  Possibly Cllr McMurdo would be able to provide more information once he arrived. Cllr Dilley said that now the Traffic Management Working Group had been established, it would be looking at issues across the village and Thurleigh Road would be high on the list of priorities.  It was noted that the width of the road prevented cars from parking on Thurleigh Road unlike Radwell Road.  The resident said that 20 vehicles used the road and exceeded the restrictions.  Cllr Dilley agreed to write to all the companies on the Thurleigh Business Park.  The meeting then re-opened for item 10.  Action: Cllr Dilley.

10.  Planning:

Applications Received:

16/01302/FUL 27B Radwell Road, MK44 1SH.  Demolition of Existing Conservatory and erection of single storey side and rear extensions.  No objections.

Applications Approved:

16/00487/FUL Yarls Wood Immigration Removal Centre, Twinwood Rd, Chapham, MK44 1FD. Over cladding of the render treatment with insulated metal faced cladding panes.

11. Village Welfare: To consider and agree action regarding the following:

i)        To receive an update re: heavy goods vehicles and the weight limit sign Thurleigh Road: Cllr Snowball reported that he had done a spot check on Thurleigh Road on the morning of the 3rd May.  He was there for 45 mins and recorded 58 cars/vans left the village heading towards Thurleigh/Business Park and 65 heading into the village.  Only one lorry came by, noticed the restrictions and turned back.

ii)      To receive an update re: the intended purchase of land in Huntsman’s Way: Cllr Dilley reported that the documents had been received from The Crown Estate Solicitors for signing by the Chairman and Clerk.  They were duly signed.

iii)    To receive an update re: the proposed village path inspection: Cllr Reddington reported that she had not heard from Andy Prigmore and would chase him.  Some of the work had been done. Discussion took place about the footpath near the Queens Head. The footpath between Huntsman’s Way and Radwell Road was very patchy. Of the three bollards between Radwell Road and the A6, the middle one was not working.

iv)    To receive an update re: school buses travelling through the village and using Radwell Road: Nothing to add at this stage.

v)      To receive an update re: dog fouling at Milton Ernest Garden Centre and agree action: The Garden Centre had put up its own signs.

vi)    To consider the issue of the bottle bank and agree action: It was agreed that the Clerk ask Wildmans to increase the collection to every 3rd week. Action: the Clerk.

12.  New Village Welfare Issues:

To consider the tree overhanging no 64 Radwell Road: Concerns had previously been reported in October last.  Cllr Dilley reported that there were two sycamores, one slightly more of a problem than the other.  It was agreed that Cllr Dilley would look at all the trees on the land which the parish council was acquiring in Huntsmans Way in order to put together a management plan for them.

13.  Finance:

i)        Decision: to accept the monthly reconciliation presentation: It was agreed to accept this.

ii)      Decision: to agree payments to be made: It was agreed to accept these (See below).

iii)    Decision: to consider and agree action regarding the grant request from the PCC: It was agreed that the Clerk should make contact with the sender of the application to ask for details of how last year’s grant was spent.

iv)    Decision: to agree and adopt revised financial regulations: It was agreed to defer this to the June meeting. Action: the Clerk.

v)      Decision: to note the report by Gill Wiggs, the internal auditor: It was noted that the report had come back with no problems found.

Cheque No Who To Amount (£)
DD BBC Salaries – May 293.33
519 Wildman’s Glass Collection 66.00
520 Warners Grass Cut 10/5 288.00
521 G Wiggs Internal Audit 135.00

14. To receive E-mailed questions from members of the public and to agree action:

Footpath between 6 and 8 Huntsmans Way: Cllr Snowball reported that he had inspected the path which was in reasonable condition except for some leaves and some moss.  There were no obvious potholes.  If local youths were congregating and involved in anti-social behaviour, 101 should be called.

15.  Reports by Representatives:-

i.  NDP Steering Group: Cllr Dilley reported that at the last meeting the consultant attended and undertook gap analysis in order to identify what remains to be done and where financial support would be required.  The consultant had produced a quote with a breakdown of what he would be doing towards the completion of the plan.  Cllr Dilley has made a new grant application to Locality.  It is likely to cost £11,000 + vat to get the plan to the referendum stage, although a grant for that amount was not possible.  Work would be prioritised accordingly.

ii. Playing Field Committee: It was agreed that the Committee had the authority to spend up to £500 without reference to the parish council.  Cllr Sharman will purchase the necessary parts to sort out the tyres and the climbing frames.

iii. Traffic Management Working Group: Cllr Dilley reported that on the previous Tuesday the group had held its first meeting. Cllr Dilley would circulate to the parish councillors, a terms of reference for the group to be approved at the June meeting.  Any highways or traffic issues would be considered by the group which would meet bi-monthly, as necessary. Cllr Dilley has contacted Traffic Management and the Road Safety Partnership and Bedford Borough Council for evidence on speed and traffic flows.  It would seek to use speed and volume monitoring equipment through a contact of Cllr Dilley’s.

16. Review of Actions Summary from Last Meeting: these were reviewed.

17. Date of the Next Meeting: Thursday 30th June 2016 at 8.00pm in the Village Hall.    

…………………………………………………………………………………….  Chairman  30th June 2016