Minutes of a Meeting of Milton Ernest Parish Council held on Thursday 28th July 2016 at 8.00pm in the Village Hall

Present: Cllrs Dilley (Chairman), Williams, Winter, Sharman, Reddington, Borough Councillor McMurdo and the Clerk (Sue Bottoms), and 3 members of the public.

  1. Apologies for Absence: Cllrs Newman and Snowball.
  2. Declarations of interest in items on the agenda:
    1. i.            To receive written requests for a dispensation: none.
    2. ii.            To consider any requests for a dispensation: none.
  3. To approve the minutes of the meeting held on the 30th June 2016: These were signed as a true record of the meeting.  The meeting then closed for item 4.
  4. Public Open Session (15 mins):

i)        Litter Picking on Thurleigh Road: A resident questioned the figure in the Annual Accounts for 2015-16 for litter picking.  It was explained that the litter picker picks in the village within the 30 mph signs.  He questioned the amount of litter in Thurleigh Road but was advised that the litter picker covers this area.

ii)      Traffic Calming on Thurleigh Road: The same resident said that in 2000 St Modwen Developments had considered putting in traffic calming.  Cllr Dilley said that it was not possible to comment on what had happened in the past.  The latest regarding St Modwen Developments would be discussed later in the meeting.

iii)    Bedford Borough Council consultation regarding moving to fortnightly collections: The resident was reassured that there had been notices placed on bins within the village.

  1. Planning:
    1. Applications Received: None.
    2. Applications Approved:

i)        16/01322/FUL The Manor, Thurleigh Road, MK44 1RF. Single storey side extension.

ii)      16/01554/FUL 23 and 25 Huntsmans Way. MK44 1SA. Single storey front extension.

iii)    16/01254/FUL Land at Bedfordia Motors 39-41 Rushden Rd. Erection of new workshop building linked to car spray booth.

  1. To consider the proposed new developments around Milton Ernest: Cllr Dilley said that four new settlement options had been submitted to Bedford Borough Council (Twinwoods, Wyboston, Thurleigh Airfield and Lee Farm Sharnbrook) and all had been asked to provide further information.  Cllr McMurdo agreed to speak to Gill Cowie of the Planning Policy Team at Bedford Borough Council to establish the process of reviewing the four sites and the potential impact on the original proposed housing allocations for the various Bedfordshire villages.  The parish council would push to reduce any impact on Milton Ernest and especially Thurleigh Road.  Action: Cllr McMurdo.
  2. To consider the letter from Marcol dated 9th July and agree action:  Cllr McMurdo to facilitate a second meeting with the parish council.  Action: Cllr McMurdo.
  3. To consider the letter from St Modwen Developments and agree action: Cllr Dilley said that they were part owners of Thurleigh airfield referred to in 5c. above. Cllr McMurdo agreed to facilitate a meeting with the parish council.  Action: Cllr McMurdo.

6. Village Welfare: To consider and agree action regarding the following:

i)        To receive an update re: Thurleigh Road. This had been covered under 4.  It was noted that on the 4th/5th August, the road would be closed for running repairs.  With regards the camera, Cllr McMurdo said that the camera had been used to cover the River Festival and he was waiting to hear when it would be installed in Thurleigh Road.

ii)      To receive an update re: the proposed village path inspection.  Cllr Reddington would contact Andrew Prigmore to establish any progress.  Action: Cllr Reddington.

  1. New Village Welfare Issues:

i)        To consider the future provision of a website facility for the parish council: It was agreed that the Clerk and Cllrs Newman and Winter would give further consideration.   Cllr Clerk, Cllrs Newman and Winter.

ii)      Parking on Radwell Road close to the junction with the A6: Cllr Dilley agreed to speak to the owner of the black estate car.   Action: Cllr Dilley.

iii)    Long Grass bottom of River Lane: Cllr Winter said that there had been complaints that the visibility to the river was obscured.  Cllr Dilley agreed to investigate.  Action: Cllr Dilley.

8.  Finance:

i)        Decision: to accept the monthly reconciliation presentation: It was agreed to accept this.

ii)      Decision: to agree payments to be madeIt was agreed to accept these (see below).

iii)    Decision: to note receipt of £1213.68 for the Playing Fields from The Fete: This was noted with thanks.

Cheque No Who Amount (£)
DD BBC Salaries – July 293.33
526 All Saint’s Church (Grant) 1150.00
527 Wicksteed – Inspection 54.00
528 S Bottoms – Expenses 21.18
529 Warners Grass Cut 26/6 13/7 576.00
530 Wicksteed – Spare parts for the equipment 152.72

9. To receive E-mailed questions from members of the public and to agree action: None.

10.  Reports by Representatives:-

i.  NDP Steering Group: Cllr Dilley reported that there had been one impromptu meeting to agree the employment of the new consultant.  The next meeting would be on the 15th August when the Group would meet with the consultant to agree the way ahead.

ii. Playing Field Committee: Cllr Williams reported that the next meeting of the Playing Fields Committee would be at 7.30pm ahead of the Parish Council Meeting on the 29th September.  It was agreed to accept the suggestion by Cllr Shaman to buy the necessary bolts etc. from Wicksteed to enable the equipment to be repaired. The Clerk would place the order with Wicksteed and arrange delivery to Cllr Williams.  Action: the Clerk.

iii. Traffic Management Working Group: Cllr Dilley said that the next stage would be to formalise an action plan and once any decision had been reached by Bedford Borough Council regarding the four potential settlements, any impact on the village would need to be included in that plan.

11. Review of Actions Summary from Last Meeting: these were reviewed.

i)        Gate in Huntsmans Way:  Cllr Dilley reported that he had spoken to Ian Rudge at Bedfordia who reassured him that whilst he had taken a look he had forgotten to mention it to his fencing contractor, which he would now do with a view to remedying the situation.

ii)      Purchase of Land in Huntsmans Way:  Cllr Dilley said that Mr Geoff Atkinson had now sent the paperwork back to the Crown Solicitors and it was now with the Land Registry in order to register the parish council as the new owners.  Mr Atkinson was also seeking to sort out the issue of the triangle of land near the zebra crossing on the A6 which should be shown as owned by the parish council.  It should soon be possible to apply for the release of the £7000 rural grant funding agreed by the Bedford Borough Council towards the project.

12. Resignation of Cllr Sharman: This was noted with regret.  Cllr Dilley thanked him on behalf of the parish council for all his hard work on behalf of Milton Ernest. The Clerk would contact Bedford Borough Council to start the process of finding a replacement.

13. Date of the Next Meeting: Thursday 29th September 2016 at 8.00pm in the Village Hall.    

…………………………………………………………………………………….  Chairman 29th September 2016