Minutes of the Annual Meeting of Milton Ernest Parish Council held on Monday 18th May 2015 at 8.00pm in the Village Hall

Present: Cllrs Dilley, Sharman, Williams, Snowball, Newman, McMurdo, the Clerk (Sue Bottoms), 4 members of the public.

  1. Appointment of Chairman and signing of Declaration of Acceptance of Office: Cllr Dilley was nominated and there being no other nominations, was duly elected as Chairman.  He signed the Declaration of Acceptance of Office.
  2. Apologies for Absence: None.
  3. Signing of Declaration of Acceptance of Office by all members: These were signed.
  4. To consider and agree action re: co-option: It was agreed that Sam Reddington be co-opted onto the Parish Council.  She signed the Declaration of Acceptance of Office.
  5. Reminder to all parish councillors regarding Register of Interests: The Clerk explained the procedure.
  6. Appointment of Vice-Chairman: Cllr Newman was nominated and there being no further nominations was duly appointed.
  7. Declarations of interest in items on the agenda:
    1. i.            To receive written requests for a dispensation: none.
    2. ii.            To consider any requests for a dispensation: none.
  8. To elect members to the Playing Field Committee: Cllr Williams, Sharman and Snowball were appointed.
  9. To appoint representatives to the following outside bodies:

i)        Village Hall Committee: Cllr Reddington.

ii)       Village Fete Committee: Cllr Sharman

iii)     Turner-Rolt Charity: Cllrs Williams and Snowball

iv)     Town and Parish Network: Cllr Snowball

v)      P3 Liaison: Cllr Winter

  1. To appoint councillors to particular interests:

i)        Police Liaison and Neighbourhood Watch: D Snowball

ii)       Internal Review of Accounts: Cllr Williams

  1. To approve the minutes of the meeting held on 30th April 2015: These were signed as a true record of the meeting.
  2. Public Open Session (15 mins):

i)        Village Hall Kitchen Replacement:  Neil Roy reported that the Village Hall Committee had decided not to progress with the original proposed extension due to the excessive costs.  Instead they would refurbish the existing kitchen and extend it internally.

ii)       Trees to the rear of Butterfield Court: Mr Dipple of Butterfield Court asked for support in dealing with trees on the land to the rear of Butterfield Court which have TPO’s on them and are pressing on the garage roofs of the properties.  It was agreed that Cllr Dilley would draft a letter to the landowner Mr Baxter which the Clerk would formally send.                                  Action:  Cllr Dilley and the Clerk

  1. Planning:

Applications Received: None.

Applications Approved: None.

  1. Village Welfare: To consider and agree action regarding the following:

i)        Decision: re plaque for the Commemorative OakIt was agreed that the Clerk would circulate the font size/plaque size around the parish councillors and a decision would be made by e-mail. Action: the Clerk.

ii)       Update on resurfacing of River Lane/London End: Cllr McMurdo said that it was unlikely that the missing section would be done in the near future because of the costs of re-scheduling the work.  Parish councillors had considered the correspondence to and from Mr Prigmore and, having spoken with residents, were satisfied with the work already done. The main area of concern was the unfinished section at the junction with Radwell Road. It was agreed that the Clerk would ask Andy Prigmore what can be done to get the missing section on a future list.                                                                                        Action: The Clerk

iii)     Old Post Office footpath: A start had been made.  It was agreed to wait until the next meeting to see what progress had been made.

  1. New Village Welfare Issues:

i)        Problem of parking close to the junction of Radwell Road/River Lane: The problem of parking at junctions was a problem elsewhere in the village as well including at the junction of Arkwright Road as well as parking on grass verges/footpaths. It was agreed that the Clerk ask that an article be placed in the Villager magazine.  Action: the Clerk

ii)       Cutting grassed areas planted with daffodils: It was agreed that the Clerk ask Warners to cut the grassed areas which are planted with daffodils.  Action: the Clerk

iii)     Subsidence in New Road: Cllr Snowball reported that a resident had reported that since all the traffic has had to use New Road with the closure of Radwell Road there has been subsidence along the edge of the road about a third of the way down from the A6.  It was agreed that the Clerk send this on to Andy Prigmore.  Action: the Clerk.

iv)     Fly-tipping: On the north side of the A6 opposite the zebra crossing. Action: Clerk to report.

v)      Shifted manhole cover: this is in Radwell Road adjacent to the entrance to the playing field.  Looks like it has been hit by a large lorry. Action: Clerk to report

  1. Finance:

i)        The monthly reconciliation presentationIt was agreed to accept this.

ii)       Payments to be made:

452 Warners Grass cutting £276.00
453 Wildman Transport Glass collection £  66.00
454 Bannard Smith Bench refurbishment £392.00
455 White Hart Newsletter printing £  70.00
456 Came & Co Annual Insurance £918.00

It was agreed to accept these.

iii)     Decision: to accept the report by the Internal Auditor – Gill Wiggs: The Clerk reported that the Internal Auditor had signed off the accounts without any issues.

iv)     Decision: to agree accounts for 2014-15 and sign the Annual Return: These were signed by the Chairman.

v)      Decision: to consider and agree action regarding grant request from PCC: It was agreed to ask for a copy of their accounts and to check the legality of the PC giving such a grant for the church.           The parish council would initially pay the £250 towards the edition of The Villager.                Action: the Clerk

  1. To receive E-mailed questions from members of the public and to agree action:  Cllr Dilley reported that he had received correspondence to say that the path closest to the hedge on Riverside Meadow had not been cut.  Action: Clerk to ask Warners to do the cut.

18.  Reports by Representatives:-

i.  NDP Steering Group: Cllr Dilley reported that the questionnaire had been finalised with the final proof having gone to the printers. The deadline for circulation was week commencing 15th June. They would be collected back in on 26th and 27th June. They would be delivered on the basis of the electoral roll.  If anyone needed extra copies they could be requested.  The numbers delivered to each house would be recorded.  Advice was taken and distribution was only to residences.  Given the uncertain future of Twinwoods and the fact that most of the businesses were based there, this makes sense.  If in the future there was a change in fortunes then this decision would be thought through again.

ii. Playing Field Committee: Cllr Williams reported that the tree had been cleared, a small fire started and turf placed in the goalmouth.  The next meeting would be at 7.30pm prior to the Parish Council meeting in June.

iii. P3 Working Group:  Cllr Dilley had liaised with Chris Lewis.  What was needed was a parish councillor prepared to co-ordinate the voluntary work.

19. Review of Actions Summary from Last Meeting: this was to be reviewed at the next  meeting.

Date of the Next Meeting: Thursday 25th June 2015 at 8pm in the Village Hall.  It will be        proceeded by a meeting of Playing Fields Committee at 7.30pm.

…………………………………………………………………………………….  Chairman

25th June 2015