Minutes of a meeting of Milton Ernest Parish Council held on Thursday 26th June 2014 at 8.00pm in the Village Hall.

Present: Cllrs Atkinson, Williams, Snowball, Newman, Amy Baker, Community Transport Project Officer, BRCC, the Clerk, Mrs Sue Bottoms and four members of the public.

  1. Apologies for Absence: Cllrs Winter and Sharman.
  2. Presentation by Amy Baker: She reported that they had received 5 year lottery funding to provide a community car scheme to provide more affordable transport for elderly and disabled. The scheme cars will include two which are designed for wheelchair use.  Amy agreed to send information for inclusion on the noticeboards and in the Villager.
  3. Declarations of interest in items on the agenda:
    1. i.            To receive written requests for a dispensation: None.
    2. ii.            To consider any requests for a dispensation: None.
  4. Minutes of the last meeting: The minutes of the meeting held on Thursday 29th May 2014 were accepted and signed by Cllr Atkinson as a true record of the meeting. The meeting then closed for Item 4.
  5. Public Open Session (15 mins):

i)        Twinwoods Gate: To be discussed under Item 11.

ii)      Radwell Road/30mph: Bedford Borough Council are now doing speed checks on Thurleigh Road.

iii)    Parking on pavement in Radwell Road: Cllr Snowball reported that the police are aware of the current parking situation and are not concerned.  The meeting then re-opened for Item 6.

  1. Planning:

Applications Received: None.

Applications Approved:

i)        14/00878/P11 Footbridge over Railway, Radwell Road, MK44 1FE. Reconstruction and alteration of bridge to enable the electrification of the Midland mainline.

ii)      13/02068/FUL Land Adj Village Farm 47 Radwell Road, MK44 1SH. Erection of new dwelling with car port.

iii)    14/00640/FUL and 14/00641/LBC 13 Radwell Road, MK44 1RY. Single storey rear extension to dwelling and replacement garage.  Replacement stone wall with picket fence.

  1. Village Welfare:

i)        To report on the sign ordered for the entrance to Riverside Meadow: This has been ordered.

ii)      20mph zone for Thurleigh and Radwell Roads: It was decided to do no more until the 40 mph buffer zone had been installed.

iii)    To receive an update regarding an alternative information board for Riverside Meadow: The Clerk reported that she had contacted Ed Burnett at the Borough Council for advice.

iv)    To receive an update regarding the 30mph sign on Thurleigh Road: This had been installed.

v)      Quote to remove the conifer opposite Riverside View:   It was decided to accept the quote of £190 from Simon Owens.  The Clerk to request that the work is not done before the end of the nesting season.                                                        Action: The Clerk

vi)    To receive an update regarding 20mph flashing signs outside the Lower School on Thurleigh Road:  The Clerk reported that she had been informed by the Borough Council that it could be added to the scheme list but was unlikely to be a high priority compared to other possible schemes.  Cllr McMurdo had commented back to the Borough that it had to be noted that children cross Thurleigh Road en-mass frequently for activities at the Village Hall.  It was decided that the Clerk write to the Borough for confirmation that this fact would affect the position of the request on the Borough’s list. Action: The Clerk

vii)  A quote for the annual cut of Riverside Meadow: It was agreed that the Clerk ask Martin Towler for a quote to cut the area.  If he did not wish to quote, she would seek an alternative.                                   Action: The Clerk

viii)To receive an update regarding the resurfacing of London End/River Lane: The Clerk reported that Church Close was apparently requested by the Parish Council as a priority.  London End and River Lane are provisionally in the 15/16 programme.  It was decided the Clerk should write to confirm that these areas are definitely on the 15/16 programme.                                                                          Action: The Clerk

New Village Welfare Issues:

i)        Casual VacancyIt was decided that now the formal stage had been completed, the Clerk should advertise the casual vacancy with a closing date just prior to the next meeting.                                                              Action: The Clerk

ii)      Grass on Playing Field: It was decided to ask Warners to cut this shorter for football. Action: The Clerk

iii)    London End/Overgrown Hedge: Cllr Williams to investigate and report back.      Action: Cllr Williams

iv)    Damaged Signs: On Radwell Road indicating house numbers in Huntsman’s Way and also the sign opposite the Queen’s Head “Radwell Rd”.  Clerk to report.           Action: The Clerk.

v)      Fencing on Grassed Area between Church Close/Flewton End (opposite Old Vicarage: This is in a poor state of repair.  It was decided that the Clerk contact Cllr McMurdo as it was thought that he had been in contact with BPHA regarding this.           Action: The Clerk.

vi)    Overgrown area outside the Old Post Office/Shoywell: It was decided that Cllr Atkinson would investigate.  Action: Cllr Atkinson

vii)  Land Adjacent to A6 and Shoywell: It was decided that the Clerk remind Warners to cut this.    Action: The Clerk

viii)Marsh Lane: Both footpaths but especially the footpath adjacent to OAPs houses were overgrown with weeds.  It was decided that the Clerk contact Warners.   Action: The Clerk

8.  Finance:

i)        It was decided: to accept the monthly reconciliation presentation.

Chq No To Who For Amount (£)
399 G Wiggs Internal Audit 85.00
400 Wildman Glass Collection 66.00
401 Warners Grass Cutting 552.00
402 S Bottoms Expenses 58.39
403 PCC Cold Call Stickers 75.00
DD BBC Salaries June 230.14

ii)      It was decided: to agree payments to be made:

iii)    It was decided: to meet the £30 cost for Cllr Atkinson to attend the BATPC Chairmanship 2 Course.

iv)    It was decided: to pay Shaping Communities last invoice up to a value of £600 with regard the NDP consultancy work.

9.   To receive E-mailed questions from members of the public and to agree action:

i)        E-mail received regarding fires on Riverside Meadow: It was decided: to monitor the situation and take action as needed.

ii)      E-mail received about progress regarding allotment provision: It was decided: that the Clerk should write to Bedfordia, The Church and two other local landowners regarding land for this. Parish Councillors to send e-mail and contact details.  Action: The Clerk.

10. Reports by Representatives:

NDP Steering Group: Cllr Atkinson reported that at the July meeting the request would be made to fund the biodiversity map at a cost of £125 plus VAT.  It was decided to accept the kind offer of BAGH to have some black and white air to ground photographs of Milton Ernest taken in 1983. Cllr Atkinson further reported that further bespoke consultation events would take place in August.  Draft policies were expected to be in place by end September.  It was decided to accept the NDP minutes of the 3rd June.

Decision: to acknowledge the minutes of the NDP Steering Group of 3rd June.

Playing Field Association Committee: Cllr Williams reported that Cllr Sharman had attempted to tighten the zip wire.  They would be represented at the Village Fete.

P3 Working Group: Nothing to report.

11.   Review of Actions Summary from Last Meeting: This was reviewed.

12.  Date of the Next Meeting: Thursday 31st July at 8.00pm in the Village Hall.

………………………………………………………………

Cllr Atkinson  Chairman

31st July 2014